Saturday, December 15, 2007

Sheesh

My parents went out to the Christmas party for my Grandma's assisted living home. I felt like kind of a jerk for not going, but had been driving all day and wanted to rest. So, after throwing in a load of laundry and meandering around the house, I went back to the addition, or "the Dugout" as my dad likes to call it, to see what was on TV. It was freezing back there. That room doesn't get any heat unless the little wood stove is going. I sat and watched in the cold for a bit but noticing my toes going numb I decided to build a fire. "I can do this, I've done it before without smoking the house out." So, I put in the paper and kindling, I even made sure the vent was open. Hit the "strike anywhere" match on the side of the cast iron stove and got some flames going. But wait, smoke started poring out even with the door shut. It got really thick and as I was ducking below it as it rose, I went and opened the door to the outside and opened one of the windows all the way. The room quickly got even colder and the fire was soon out. When the smoke had dispersed I closed the door and window and sat back down on the "foo ton." I wasn't about to try that again. Not tonight anyway. A second one of those crime investigation shows came on, this one was called "Without A Trace." It looked interesting so I stayed and bore the cold. When it had finished I left the room, feeling slightly disturbed by some of the gore and the troubled family that was portrayed. It makes you grateful for yours and saddened by the state of some of the world. I'm rambling. So now I'm up here on the computer trying to type with cold hands and feet and smelling like smoke. "Well done, Lydia." I guess I've lost my touch for the wood stove, at least for tonight. I think I'll go down and move my stuff to the dryer. It's good to be home.

No comments: