Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Bonjour de Québec!!!

Hello from Québec City!

I`m here at the University of Laval for the next 5 weeks.
Today was the third day of the program, and I was feeling pretty strong with my French, but to be honest things have been pretty stressful this first week. But, I guess that`s to be expected.

There are lots of extra curricular activities to sign up for and courses to juggle. Today I actually switched classes to one level above where I`ve been the past couple of days. It was a stressful decision but I think it was the right choice. I know things are going to get easier as the weeks progress, but it`s interesting how adjustments and decision making are made harder because of having to pretty much speak all the time in français plus, just the difference in culture for a small town Vermont/ Houghton girl.

But, since my parents and I arrived last Friday night (with a bit of a delay at the boarder) we have seen the Lord working and blessing this experience.

My parents stayed a few extra days for a bit of a vacation and on Sunday we visited an absolutelly wonderful little French speaking Baptist church within walking distance from where I am staying. Though I couldn`t follow the whole sermon, it was an amazing experience with the people being so welcoming and the faith of the community being so obvious. It was a blessing and I hope to be attending there while I am here.

It`s also incredible how my off campus housing has worked out. I am staying with a very kind retired woman who is also renting a room to another young woman who is in her late twenties.
"Madame" has a little dog named (get this) "Moustique" (mosquito)! which is definitely a plus for me. Naturally, she is French speaking and knows very little English so the opportunity for communicating in French is also great. She has also mentioned that she has "un petit probleme avec le santé" a health problem, and I was reminded by my parents that the Lord may use me to show her His love and peace during my time here. So if any of you think of it, you could be praying that He would be opening doors and maybe stirring her heart.

Well, I have to go catch the bus back to the appartment now before it gets too late.
I`d truly appreciate prayers for my adjustment here and that Jesus would be at work in me and that He`d be doing mighty things this summer.

No comments: